Date: 6/5/18 6:14 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: RFI: Native North American Breeding Range Expansion into Oregon
There’s various ways to measure this expansion. Barred Owl probably occurs in every county in the state, and made its first appearance in the 70s. Anna’s Hummer is absent from most of Eastern Oregon, and restricted to human habitats away from the coast. It first appeared in the 60s if not the 70s. Barred Owls seem to have entered a stage of urban expansion now. While Black Phoebe had never been detected in Oregon when Gabrielsson and Jewett published in 1940 (based largely on field work done in the 20s) and now reaches the Columbia at Astoria, it has yet to be a confirmed breeder in most counties. It doesn’t nest regularly north of Benton County in the inland counties, and in Benton I feel it remains a noteworthy species. Most Christmas Count teams in the Corvallis circle don’t report it. Most teams on the Yaquina CBC don’t report it either. I’m pretty sure both circles always record the species nowadays, while Barred Owl still gets missed regularly. It’s quite possible that Barred Owl is more numerous in both those count circles than BLPH. lan
> On Jun 5, 2018, at 5:28 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:
>
> I think we’re only looking at native North American species that breed in Oregon now.
>

> Alan Contreras
> <acontrer56...> <mailto:<acontrer56...>
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> www.alanlcontreras.com <http://www.alanlcontreras.com/>
>

>> On Jun 5, 2018, at 5:26 PM, Tom Crabtree <tc...> <mailto:<tc...>> wrote:
>>
>> I would add Lesser Goldfinch and Great-tailed Grackle. Starling if you go back to the 50s. Euro-trash Doves probably exceed everything but the latter.
>>
>> Tom Crabtree, Bend

Join us on Facebook!