Date: 6/5/18 2:14 pm
From: 'Tom McCabe' <tmccabe9...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Great-tailed Grackle at Quinn's Pond
I had to squeeze my ride in between appointments so I was moving rather
quickly today..UNTIL I heard some crazy sounds coming from the brush on the
peninsula between the pond outlet and the river. A woman passing by with her
dog asked what the crazy sounds were, and I admitted ignorance, but there
was something familiar as well. When Susan caught up with me, she spotted
movement in the Russian Olive on the end of the peninsula. Finally I saw the
tell-tale long tail and I remembered where I'd heard the sounds before:
Great-tailed Grackle. This may be the first time I've seen one in Idaho,
definitely a first for Boise.

We watched the bird for a short time and then continued our ride. On the way
back we didn't hear any strange sounds and could not locate the bird again.
But what a treat while it lasted. Which is what I love about birding-you
never know what's going to show up.

Tom McCabe, Boise

Join us on Facebook!