Date: 6/5/18 1:48 pm
From: ok_forbs <ok_forbs...>
Subject: Belated Harper Co. Migration Report, May 14, 2018
The following list of birds are from 4 observers in two parties. We found 84 species, including those at the Anthony Water Treatment Plant.

The best birds were:
3 Bald Eagles
1 Merlin
6 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds (All at feeders around Anthony Lake)
29 Double-crested Cormorant
1 White Pelican
1 Blue-headed Vireo
1 Harrier
2 White-winged Dove

Birds found in High Number:
100+ Dickcissel
250+ Cliff Swallow (Does not include missed bridges; where they are known to be abundant)

In past years, over 100 Morning Doves could be found, but this year only 46 were found.

Birds Missed:
Chimney Swift
Rock Pigeon
Orchard Oriole
Chipping Sparrow
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (I personally have never found this sp. for this migration count)

In most years we get many more Western King Birds than Eastern, but this year the numbers were reversed.

Flycatchers:
15 Scissor-tailed
9 Great Crested Flycatcher
6 Eastern Phoebe
1 Eastern Wood-Pewee
17 Western Kingbirds
75 Eastern Kingbirds (A conserved number. Elsie Fisher mentioned that they were just arriving)

As it so happened, Tom Ewert, Bill Langley and Kevin Groeneweg were on a Birdathon the same day as the Migration Count. They had many additional species with a total of 104 species. That list was posted several weeks ago and can also be found on ebirds.

The following birds are from the Anthony Water Treatment Pond, which was a Birdathon stop, which we would normally take.

1 Wilson's Phalaropes
Wood Duck
3 Blue-winged Tea
1 Northern Shoveler
2 Ring-necked Duck
1 Northern Bobwhite

As a side note:
The Pyrrhuloxia apparently has moved out of the area, and has not been seen for several weeks, despite efforts to find it.

Eddie Stegall
<Ok_Forbs...>
Wichita, Ks.

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html