Date: 6/5/18 12:22 pm
From: Jamie Simmons <sapsuckers...>
Subject: [obol] Bank Swallow colony - Rufus, Sherman (temporary)
On May 27, Mark Aron and I visited the Rufus Sewage Ponds, located west of
town along the frontage road (south of the freeway). The ponds were dead,
but while departing we noticed a nesting colony of Bank Swallows in a large
road maintenance sand & gravel pile on the north side of the road. There
were at least a couple of piles, but this particular one has solidified
enough to provide a temporary nesting site. (Temporary until they come
along with a loader and scoop it up.)

eBird: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46088358

It reminded me of a similar colony years ago in the sand & gravel works
just off Highway 20 in Tumalo, Deschutes County.

Best viewing is from the edge of the frontage road at the entrance to the
maintenance area.

Jamie Simmons
Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!