Date: 6/5/18 11:25 am
From: Angela Dimmitt via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Hairy Woodpeckers
Thanks, Dave - it just struck me as very early for a fully-fledged independent Hairy (he did not appear to be with Mom), even thought the Atlas safe date is 4/25. Now, subsequent to my last post, a brown adult male arrived in addition to the two adult females, one of which is also brown - so perhaps they are an item. I did not notice the juvie as being brown so maybe I have two families in my yard. Have not seen him again.

Angela Dimmitt
New Milford

From: <Davidp979...>
To: <ctbirds...>, <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Unusual Hairy Woodpeckers

Angela many juvenile Hairys are red on the front of the crown (or forehead), so just an early fledging. I do love Hairy Woodpeckers! As for the darker female, could be diet related or tannin staining. I've seen several Hairy's with "off" white coloration over the years, including one black and butterscotch colored female at White Memorial 20 or more years ago. She was beautiful in her unusual garb.

Dave

Dave Provencher
Preston

Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 10:41:28 -0400
From: Angela Dimmitt <angeladimmitt...>
To: <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Hair Woodpecker - now 2 Females

Since I posted recently, I just saw two adult female hairy woodpeckers on the feeders at the same time, a regular and the "brown" one! Quite a contrast.
Angela Dimmitt
New Milford