Date: 6/5/18 11:17 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Paul Douglas Grassy Ridge Meadow Tuesday 6-5-18
Hello Bird People,

Took my search for resident birds to the Paul Douglas Forest Preserve
today. Saw nothing special but had a good mix of field, marsh & shrub
land species. And since I stayed out of the tick area I seem to have
avoided ticks too, but we'll see later if that's true. We'll do the
lists by habitat today.

Paul Douglas/Grassy Ridge Meadow

Marsh Area

D.C. Cormorant (1, resting)
Great Blue Heron (14-16 including young)
Canada Geese (~30)
Tree (10) & Rough Winged (4) Swallows
Marsh Wren (2 seen & 2 more heard, none were here last time I was present)
Common Yellowthroat (1)
Song Sparrow (2)
Red Wings (~30)
YELLOW HEADED BLACKBIRD (1-M)
(Does anyone know if this Y.H. Blackbird has a mate? Seems strange
that this guy would come back every year without a mate showing up but
that may be the case.)

Grassy Field & Shrub Areas

Turkey Vulture (1 soaring)
Red Tailed Hawk (1 hunting)
Ring Billed Gull (1, flying by)
Rock Pigeon (1, flying by)
Mourning Dove (1 in a tree)
Willow Flycatcher (1)
Eastern Kingbird (1-PR & 1 individual)
B.G. Gnatcatcher (2 together)
Eastern Bluebird (1-M)
Robins (15-18)
Gray Catbird (2)
Starling (4-5)
Warbling Vireo (4)
Yellow Warbler (4)
Common Yellowthroat (5)
Cardinal (1)
Dickcissel (1)
Savannah Sparrow (3)
HENSLOW'S SPARROW (1 or 2)
Song Sparrow (5)
BOBOLINK (6-M & 2-F)
Red Wings (10)
Grackle (2)
Goldfinch (2)
House Sparrow (1-F)

Heavy Woods (Gave up on this as the traffic noise was too much to take)

A young Red Tailed Hawk, 1 Great Crested Flycatcher, 1 Indigo Bunting,
1 Baltimore Oriole
& a couple Cowbirds.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Bobolinks who, as always, put on a fine show!
Runners-Up to the Eastern Bluebird & the Henslow's Sparrow.

License Plate Of The Day was a good one as it was from Delaware.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: