Date: 6/5/18 7:58 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (04 Jun 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 04, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 0 3

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Evelyn Fowles, Mike Fowles

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Sue McLaughlin, Mike & Evelyn Fowles, Patricia Jacobs.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy - Partly Sunny (75-25% cloud cover), Ceiling - 3,100-30,000
ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 72 - 66F, Winds WNW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Osprey, 1-Cooper's
Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (6) and Turkey Vultures (28).

<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“A much Better Day to See Nothing”---
<BR><BR>
“The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “misnomer.” Play along with me…how
would you define it? Let’s see how close you are. I finally settled upon
it meaning something that suggests one thing, but is something else
entirely. But how close was I? “One-Look” - my source for all my words -
says it means a wrong or inaccurate name or designation. This noun has
Latin and French roots. How close were you to the exact phrasing of the
definition? I guess I was pretty close. We love words…do you? Choose the
right one, use it in the right way and it can say so much for you. While
certainly if you don’t, it can cause so much harm. Feel free to suggest
your favorite. Thanks Mike – not “free beer Mike” – he’s in a “drunken
stupor” or drinking a beer named that [lol] - another Mike, for suggesting
the word and providing some of his favored examples.
<BR><BR>
One of my favorites is “bird brain” - a misnomer as if to suggest these
magnificent creatures are “inherently stupid,” even while they can fly from
one continent to another, at times ending up in the very same tree! Now,
you try that, even with a GPS. Incredible!
<BR><BR>
Before going to Bucktoe, I walked the wetlands and marshes of Cheslen
picking up Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Acadian Flycatcher, American Redstarts,
and several Virginia Rails.
<BR><BR>
“The watch” day: June 4 – The weather was much improved today, but still
the “bird Gods” gave us little. I fear many [shorebirds] slipped by us
this year on the few days we saw birds, later in the evening than usual.
Still, I have hopes for a couple more shorebird flocks and another kite.
But it was not this day. The “best” we could do among our 55 species were:
Great Blue Heron, Osprey, Yellow-breasted Chat, and Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
Thanks for your comments about ‘the Blog,’ Mike and Kathleen.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: none.
<BR><BR>
2-Great Blue Heron, 2-Willow Flycatcher, 2-Yellow-breasted Chat, 2-Blue
Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Monarch - 2, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner,
Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.89; Steps: 18,505; Floors:
26.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 55; this season: 90
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Rock
[feral] Pigeon.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight [Tuesday's] looks like a return to rough weather with
clouds and thunderstorms in the afternoon, alongside strong westerly
winds.
The Kites – All is wrong, but you never know.
As for the shorebird - does not look good - Wednesday is better.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: