Date: 6/4/18 11:05 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Varied Thrushes breeding in the Coast Range (was: Some Recent Coos/Curry Birds)
I meant to describe the habitat of the single Varied Thrush nest I had
found as being in a narrow older-growth stream buffer of multi-storied
canopy and some very large but not terribly ancient sitka spruces,but
surrounded by reproduction industrial timberlands.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, 10:59 PM David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
wrote:

> Varied Thrushes are common breeders throughout the Northern Oregon Coast
> Range. I conducted predawn through dawn surveys for Marbled Murrelets in
> the North Oregon Coast Range between 01 May and 01Aug for six seasons.
> These surveys were all within approximately 20 miles of the coast between
> Newport and Astoria. I do not recall a single survey station where Varied
> Thrush was not a species I detected on more than one station visit. We
> surveyed each station usually seven times a season. The protocol was that
> the survey began 45 minutes prior to sunrise. There is a predictable order
> to the first calls of expected species. Varied Thrush is one of the first
> predawn callers, but they cease to call at sunrise or before. They are very
> stealthy. I did encounter a single active nest with chicks about seven
> miles up the Necanicum River one season, though had I not flushed the
> parent off the nest I would not have known the birds were there.
>
> David
>
> David C. Bailey
> Seaside, Oregon

Join us on Facebook!