Date: 6/4/18 11:00 pm
From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
Subject: [obol] Varied Thrushes breeding in the Coast Range (was: Some Recent Coos/Curry Birds)
Varied Thrushes are common breeders throughout the Northern Oregon Coast
Range. I conducted predawn through dawn surveys for Marbled Murrelets in
the North Oregon Coast Range between 01 May and 01Aug for six seasons.
These surveys were all within approximately 20 miles of the coast between
Newport and Astoria. I do not recall a single survey station where Varied
Thrush was not a species I detected on more than one station visit. We
surveyed each station usually seven times a season. The protocol was that
the survey began 45 minutes prior to sunrise. There is a predictable order
to the first calls of expected species. Varied Thrush is one of the first
predawn callers, but they cease to call at sunrise or before. They are very
stealthy. I did encounter a single active nest with chicks about seven
miles up the Necanicum River one season, though had I not flushed the
parent off the nest I would not have known the birds were there.

David

David C. Bailey
Seaside, Oregon

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, 1:34 PM Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...> wrote:

> On 26 May Barb Taylor saw a White-throated Sparrow at her sister’s nice
> feeder set up in Coos Bay. This is the latest spring record for Coos I know
> of by over a week.
>
> Memorial Day weekend Madeleine Vander Heyden was at the mouth of Elk River
> in Curry and saw a pair of Peregrine Falcons on a nearby cliff. Probably
> nesting in the vicinity. Right about that time a Bald Eagle flew by and
> headed upriver. The two Peregrines immediately took off and began harassing
> the eagle. This went on for a few moments before the eagle pivoted and
> snatched one of the Peregrines out of the sky! It flew off with it and
> landed in a tree where it began dining on it. Wow- must have been amazing
> to see!
>
> We recently had a thread on Varied Thrushes and where they nest. I
> normally have singing birds across the street from my place at Mingus
> Park, Coos Bay until about mid-May then they apparently leave. This year
> there is one or two birds still singing up through 2 June so I think they
> are at least attempting to breed. So yes I think a few birds may
> occasionally breed coastally in Coos County where the habitat is right-
> older forest with multistoried understory which is how I think Wayne
> Hoffmann described it.
>
> Happy birding!
> Tim Rodenkirk

Join us on Facebook!