Date: 6/4/18 5:46 pm
From: maliadances via Groups.Io <maliadances=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [pen-bird] June 2 Palo Alto Summer Bird Count - La Honda Creek OSP (upper)
Chris and I took part in the  Palo Alto Summer Bird Count last Saturday, June 2. We covered the La Honda Creek OSP , the upper area that requires a permit for access.We spent 4 hours hiking 4.5 miles on the various trails in the preserve. We counted 31 species total at this location but had some highlights.

We encountered a total of (5) HERMIT WARBLERS. Along the Cielo Trail, we first heard a singing male and stopped to try to spot it. To our delight, be saw not only the male but also a female. The two birds were staying very close together as they moved through the tree canopy. We were able to get good photos of the male and a few blurry photos of the female. We moved on,  and about 50 yards away we heard another male Hermit Warbler singing. That bird was very close to the trail and were able to photograph it. On another trail we had a 3rd Hermit Warbler singing but could not get a visual. Back at our car at then end of our survey, as we ate lunch we could hear yet another male singing.

Also on the Cielo Trail we heard several HERMIT THRUSHES  and with the air devoid of plane or distant  motorcycle noise, got a fairly decent audio recording. I think I have this right that these are the C. g. slevini  subspecies?. Our winter Hermit Thrushes leave in spring to breed elsewhere to the north  and this subspecies arrives to breed in the Santa Cruz Mountains.  A Golden Eagle was seen perched on the metal power tower. And Golden-crowned Kinglets were seen and heard singing along the Coho Vista Loop Trail.  Our ebird checklist for the area with photos and audio   is here https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46247554

To access this part of La Honda Creek OSP one needs to apply for a permit. Info for obtaining a permit can be found here: https://www.openspace.org/preserves/la-honda-creek
This is a fantastic area with sweeping views of the hills out to coast. Looking forward to doing more exploration of this area.

Malia DeFelice and Chris Hayward

Join us on Facebook!