Date: 6/4/18 5:34 pm
From: DAVID KOCH <davilene...>
Subject: Rose-breasted grosbeaks -- comments, Koch property, Northampton County
As has become the norm for me here every summer, rose-breasted grosbeaks are everyday, and almost constant, visitors to yard feeders and in surrounding habitat. It's not unusual to see four or five at the same time and then watch them fly away only to be replaced shortly by others. Obviously, there must be a good nesting population in the preserved woodlands (a few hundred acres) across the road, some of which belongs to our family. Orioles remain relatively constant but females are no longer using the nest material. When they come in now they almost always go to the jelly feeder that really doesn't need any specific kind of jelly. A few gray catbirds are also regular users of the jelly. And, interestingly, an eastern kingbird was taking the nest material for about a week, but every time it did so it took the few blue yarn strands I mixed in with the baler twine. So I purposely put more blue yarn in the nest to see if it would always take it instead of the tan baler twine, and it did. So somewhere on the property is a kingbird nest with a lot of blue in it.
.  Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!