Date: 6/4/18 5:05 pm
From: Joan Lentz <joanlentz...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Black-throated Sparrow on West Camino Cielo
Hi All:
While researching for the chaparral chapter in my “Naturalist’s Guide”, I recall looking at Phil Unitt’s material surveying chaparral areas burned in 2002 and 2003 in large fires in S. Diego county. He indicated that numbers of Black-chinned Sparrows jumped sharply in the “second year after a fire”. I mention primarily Lazuli Bunting and Lawrence’s Goldfinches as the most common fire followers (see Big Pine Mountain lists for post-fire numbers after the Zaca Fire), but I believe it would be accurate to include Black-chinned Sparrows as well. Just a local viewpoint….
Joan
> On Jun 4, 2018, at 3:08 PM, Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...> wrote:
>
> Talking about sparrows and wildfires... People are reporting a lot of Black-chinned Sparrows this year and I have been wondering if this is tied in with our recent wildfires.
>
> Birds of North America has this to say about its "Habitat in Breeding Range":
> [...] Periodic fires may be requisite for suitable chaparral habitat. Grinnell and Miller (Grinnell and Miller 1944) suggested preference for “old, burned-over tracts, well along in recovery of vegetation.” In Glenn Co., CA, inhabits stands dominated by chamise (Adenostoma fasciculatum) only 7–10 yr after a burn; in mixed chaparral, 5 yr following a burn, with low numbers still present >75 yr postburn (England 1995). In San Luis Obispo Co., CA, Marantz (Marantz 1986) reported regular breeding in “recently burned (within 10 yr) chaparral and coastal scrub.” Habitat dependence on recurrent fires may vary regionally and with vegetation type. In Santa Rosa Mtns., Riverside Co., CA, breeders thrive in senescent 40-yr-old desert ceanothus (Ceanothus greggii; Weathers 1983). In Sonoma Co., CA, breeds in chaparral as early as 18–24 mo after fire (Burridge 1995). [...]
>
> Can someone say something intelligent about this? Curtis?
>

> Wim van Dam
> Solvang, CA
> ---
> SBCO #376+2: Pine Warbler
>

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...> <mailto:<maholmgren33...>> wrote:
> I bumped into a singing Black-throated Sparrow early this morning on West Camino Cielo (at 34.52353 -119.92883, 3821 feet elevation). The location is 3.8 air miles west of the Winchester Gun Club and 1.8 air miles east of Broadcast Peak. This occurrence is unusual in SB County because according to Lehman's Birds of Santa Barbara County its only the second record for District M (Mountains) and the first June record outside of the Cuyama Valley. There was no indication in the 17 minutes I spent there that the bird was paired.
>
> This is in the burn zone of the Whittier Fire. This study started by Dave Compton and me, now in its 9th year, should allow a comparison of the bird fauna between pre-fire dense chaparral and post-burn recovery. One photo of the sparrow is here https://flic.kr/p/JcwGW4 <https://flic.kr/p/JcwGW4>
> and a similar photo is at eBird
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46303427 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46303427>
>
> BTW, the dirt road west of Winchester Gun Club is in good condition, but low-slung cars will need to use caution in several places.
>
> Mark Holmgren
> San Marcos Pass
>

> --
> Wim van Dam