Date: 6/4/18 3:09 pm
From: Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Black-throated Sparrow on West Camino Cielo
Talking about sparrows and wildfires... People are reporting a lot of
Black-chinned Sparrows this year and I have been wondering if this is tied
in with our recent wildfires.

Birds of North America has this to say about its "Habitat in Breeding
Range":

> [...] Periodic fires may be requisite for suitable chaparral habitat.
> Grinnell and Miller (Grinnell and Miller 1944) suggested preference for
> “old, burned-over tracts, well along in recovery of vegetation.” In Glenn
> Co., CA, inhabits stands dominated by chamise (Adenostoma fasciculatum)
> only 7–10 yr after a burn; in mixed chaparral, 5 yr following a burn, with
> low numbers still present >75 yr postburn (England 1995). In San Luis
> Obispo Co., CA, Marantz (Marantz 1986) reported regular breeding in
> “recently burned (within 10 yr) chaparral and coastal scrub.” Habitat
> dependence on recurrent fires may vary regionally and with vegetation type.
> In Santa Rosa Mtns., Riverside Co., CA, breeders thrive in senescent
> 40-yr-old desert ceanothus (Ceanothus greggii; Weathers 1983). In Sonoma
> Co., CA, breeds in chaparral as early as 18–24 mo after fire (Burridge
> 1995). [...]

Can someone say something intelligent about this? Curtis?

Wim van Dam
Solvang, CA
---
SBCO #376+2: Pine Warbler

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
wrote:

> I bumped into a singing *Black-throated Sparrow* early this morning on
> West Camino Cielo (at 34.52353 -119.92883, 3821 feet elevation). The
> location is 3.8 air miles west of the Winchester Gun Club and 1.8 air miles
> east of Broadcast Peak. This occurrence is unusual in SB County because
> according to Lehman's Birds of Santa Barbara County its only the second
> record for District M (Mountains) and the first June record outside of the
> Cuyama Valley. There was no indication in the 17 minutes I spent there that
> the bird was paired.
>
> This is in the burn zone of the Whittier Fire. This study started by Dave
> Compton and me, now in its 9th year, should allow a comparison of the bird
> fauna between pre-fire dense chaparral and post-burn recovery. One photo
> of the sparrow is here https://flic.kr/p/JcwGW4
> and a similar photo is at eBird
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46303427
>
> BTW, the dirt road west of Winchester Gun Club is in good condition, but
> low-slung cars will need to use caution in several places.
>
> Mark Holmgren
> San Marcos Pass

Join us on Facebook!