Date: 6/4/18 2:06 pm
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Black-throated Sparrow on West Camino Cielo
I bumped into a singing *Black-throated Sparrow* early this morning on West
Camino Cielo (at 34.52353 -119.92883, 3821 feet elevation). The location is
3.8 air miles west of the Winchester Gun Club and 1.8 air miles east of
Broadcast Peak. This occurrence is unusual in SB County because according
to Lehman's Birds of Santa Barbara County its only the second record for
District M (Mountains) and the first June record outside of the Cuyama
Valley. There was no indication in the 17 minutes I spent there that the
bird was paired.

This is in the burn zone of the Whittier Fire. This study started by Dave
Compton and me, now in its 9th year, should allow a comparison of the bird
fauna between pre-fire dense chaparral and post-burn recovery. One photo
of the sparrow is here https://flic.kr/p/JcwGW4
and a similar photo is at eBird
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46303427

BTW, the dirt road west of Winchester Gun Club is in good condition, but
low-slung cars will need to use caution in several places.

Mark Holmgren
San Marcos Pass

Join us on Facebook!