Date: 6/4/18 1:34 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Some Recent Coos/Curry Birds
On 26 May Barb Taylor saw a White-throated Sparrow at her sister’s nice
feeder set up in Coos Bay. This is the latest spring record for Coos I know
of by over a week.

Memorial Day weekend Madeleine Vander Heyden was at the mouth of Elk River
in Curry and saw a pair of Peregrine Falcons on a nearby cliff. Probably
nesting in the vicinity. Right about that time a Bald Eagle flew by and
headed upriver. The two Peregrines immediately took off and began harassing
the eagle. This went on for a few moments before the eagle pivoted and
snatched one of the Peregrines out of the sky! It flew off with it and
landed in a tree where it began dining on it. Wow- must have been amazing
to see!

We recently had a thread on Varied Thrushes and where they nest. I normally
have singing birds across the street from my place at Mingus Park, Coos
Bay until about mid-May then they apparently leave. This year there is one
or two birds still singing up through 2 June so I think they are at least
attempting to breed. So yes I think a few birds may occasionally breed
coastally in Coos County where the habitat is right- older forest with
multistoried understory which is how I think Wayne Hoffmann described it.

Happy birding!
Tim Rodenkirk

Join us on Facebook!