Date: 6/4/18 12:03 pm
From: Mike Grant <mikecurlew...>
Subject: SLAS Field Trip to Colombia Bottom and Riverlands - Trip Report
On a day that started sunny but was cut short by rain, sixteen turned out to
find birds at Colombia Bottom. Rain started about 11:30 so we never made it
to Riverlands.

From the parking lot many Dickcissels were heard calling in the fields.
Those same fields were also crowded with Indigo Buntings and Red-winged
Blackbirds. A male Blue Grosbeak was seen by many in the parking lot along
the asphalt and a couple of Eurasian Tree Sparrows were near the picnic
shelter. The first Yellow-billed Cuckoo of the day was heard calling. We
walked the paved path along the fields for a good distance and picked up
both Orioles, Common Yellowthroat, a perched RB Hummingbird and Warbling
Vireo.

We drove the gravel road hoping for shorebirds but the area is very dry so
only Killdeer were found. A few Bobwhites were heard. Three young Wood
Ducks were sitting on a log that crossed the drainage ditch to the south of
the road. We parked at the river access lot were the gravel road makes a 90
degree turn and walked the short path to the river. We saw two Bald Eagles
across the river but not much else.

We drove on to the confluence parking lot and walked to the overlook. Found
an eagle across the river sitting at the very top of a crane boom.

Drove on towards the boat launch parking lot making a few stops to listen
for Grasshopper Sparrows (none found) and one stop for a Bell's Vireo which
a few people got to see. The structures at the parking lot are hosting
quite a few Swallow nests and Bank Swallows were over the river. Had fun
with a Northern Mockingbird that was mimicking a number of other birds quite
well.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46237053

Thanks to everyone who participated and especially to those that helped out
finding the birds.

Mike Grant

Chesterfield, MO

<mikecurlew...>