Date: 6/4/18 10:02 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (03 Jun 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 03, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 0 3

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Chad Hutchinson, Mike Defina

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (9): Jerry Jeffers, Susan Jeffers, Patricia Jacobs, Clyde Jacobs,
Chad Hutchinson, Mike Defina, Michele & Christian Scheive.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy w/ Heavy Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 4,800-1,500 ft.,
Visibility - 6-10 miles, Temps 63 - 55F, Winds ENE @ 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-tailed Hawk, and
numerous Black (16) and Turkey Vultures (25).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Now, where did I put my Ark?”---
<BR><BR>
“The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “torrential downpour.” OK, that’s
two words, but the reason for it will become evident later during an
appropriate “blogging.” Play along with me…how would you define them?
Let’s see how close you are. I finally settled upon torrential meaning a
large flow of liquid. Downpour meaning a liquid, usually water [easy Mike,
NOT beer!] flowing in large quantity, typically from the sky. Get it
Chad?? NOT a good thing! But how close was I? “One-Look” - my source for
all my words - says torrential means rain falling rapidly and in copious
quantities. This adjective has French & Latin roots. Downpour means a
pouring or streaming downward; especially a heavy rain. It’s a noun whose
origin I couldn’t find. How close were you to the exact phrasing of the
definitions? Pretty easy, isn’t it? No problem, right Chad? Mike?? We
love words…do you? Choose the right one, use it in the right way and it
can say so much for you. While certainly if you don’t, it can cause so
much harm. Feel free to suggest your favorite.
<BR><BR>
“The watch day:” June 3 – The first thing that greeted me was the loud
“Chip” call note of a Blue Grosbeak. Oh, and the ever-present drizzle from
the clouds hanging low over Bucktoe. Is this ever going to end? Part of
my favorite family was out to visit me today – Michelle & young son,
Christian. Christian is so very observant for his age! Henry, who didn’t
make it out, is as well. A couple of upcoming birders, we have here - so
nice to see. The drizzle abated. Still, little was moving this dreary
day. What more can I say? Try this:
<BR><BR>
I received an email from Chad, THREATENING to come down, bringing Mike
along – you know, “Free Beer, Mike” - if the weather would be good enough.
I responded with the forecast I had: that there may be a single shower, but
not a washout. I suggested that they should come. We would have a few
laughs, a couple of beers and birds. No problem, right? Besides, the
weather had improved a bit. Later, a car pulled up. It was Chad and Mike.
Chad had stopped for beer and came equipped with some yarn about a beer
recommendation...blah, blah.. a beer distributor friend.. yada, yada. Mike
pretended to still be attentive. I had long since stopped listening,
popping the top off one of the beers he brought. We all did. Just then
the Heavens broke loose. I mean it poured! There were no birds to be seen
anywhere. It rained the entire time they were here from the opening pop of
the first can to the last swig of swill as darkness descended. Why was it
raining and pouring all evening? What was the cause of our luck? And more
importantly, why do I ask so many questions? It hadn’t been predicted to
rain all evening – just a shower. But why had it picked this exact moment
to pour from the Heavens? We were discussing our horrible reality when
Mike had the bright idea to look at the beer they had brought. NOW, Mike
looked! Chad had bought and brought a beer called, believe it or not,
“Torrential Downpour!” His ‘friend’ had sold him on bringing “Torrential
Downpour” to a hawk watch! A fruity IPA – obviously in this case the
acronym stood for “It Poured Awesomely.” What was the distributor out of
“Go Blind” brew? No, “Drop Dead in Agony” ale? “Gruesome Bone Break” Grog
wasn’t available? There had been a rush on “Welcome to Hell” lager? We
all laughed so hard; I cried. In case you’re wondering Mike & Chad. [I
blame Mike, anyway] On future visits, I won’t be needing any,
“Embarrassing Body Rash” IPA, either. I’m trying to cut back! Only
“happy” beers are permitted now at Bucktoe! You’ve been “blogged,” fellas!
Mike, as you said, you’re used to it; Chad, welcome to “the club!”
<BR><BR>
Patricia & Clyde arrived during all this fun, bringing watermelon. Thanks
Patricia – you may not be aware that offerings of food and drink are not
only welcome, but are encouraged here at Bucktoe.
<BR><BR>
We are planning on having a bonfire on Wednesday late afternoon and evening
at our site to celebrate the conclusion of yet another Kite & Shorebird
Watch. I will confirm it on the next blog. Come join us, and bring a
picnic dinner & drink – 3pm till dark.
<BR><BR>
Better birds among our 55 species were: Great Egrets, Green Heron,
Yellow-breasted Chat, and Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: none.
<BR><BR>
1-Great Blue Heron, 2-Great Egret, 1-Green Heron, 2-Willow Flycatcher,
2-Yellow-breasted Chat, 2-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: none.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.64; Steps: 10,881; Floors:
15.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 55; this season: 89
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks ever so much better. The skies will brighten and
there might even be a bright orb visible, which radiates heat. Ah but will
it radiate a Kite and a flock of shorebirds? Winds a bit wrong, but who
cares?
The Kites – ?
As for the shorebirds - ?
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: