Date: 6/4/18 9:47 am
From: keith_in_eg via Groups.Io <keith_ineg=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Adult SHARP-SHINNED HAWK in El Granada, 04June2018
Hello,

Shortly after 09:00, I had an adult male Sharp-shinned Hawk fly low over the house.  It was heading west over the open space that is the CUSD surplus property south of Coral Reef Avenue.  It was being chased by a Brewer's Blackbird.  The small Sharpie was slightly larger than Robin-sized with rusty barring below, short squared-off tail, and not much head projecting beyond the leading edge of the wings.  It displayed the typical flap-flap-flap-flap-glide flight behavior.  So all of the ID stuff aside, the presence of an adult Sharpie on June 4th is unusual and suggests to me the possibility of local nesting activity.  I do know that there is a resident breeding pair of Cooper's Hawks in the neighborhood along with the Red-tails and Red-shoulders.  So if you're in the EG neighborhood, and poking around, look out for for the possible Sharpie adult and maybe juvenile(s)!

Keith Gress
El Granada

Join us on Facebook!