Date: 6/3/18 9:43 pm
From: Leith McKenzie <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender loinneilceol for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: Eastern Or Say's Phoebe
I saw the pictures and watched the video.  Leaving aside the bird for a moment, it seems to me that the still images and the video are relatively well exposed, with good color rendition. (I am looking at the whole picture and the color of the background.)  I agree with Larry McQueen.  My eyes see the underparts of this bird as yellow. On my (2018) computer screen, I see no hint of the peach/salmon underparts of a Say's Phoebe (a color that Say's fledglings strongly display from the moment they get out of the nest).
Larry speculated that this might be a first year bird, but that seems highly improbable.  If anything, in bird-banding terminology, it would be a SY or second year bird - a bird hatched last year and likely in a state of delayed molt.   I do not know what it is.  But  I have observed Say's Phoebe on thousands of days and have never seen one with yellow underparts.
Maitreya

“Each of us is in truth an idea of the Great Gull and an unlimited idea of freedom.”

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Join us on Facebook!