Date: 6/3/18 9:15 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Crane Beach, Ipswich, Jun 3, 2018 (and Jun1 at dusk)
Crane Beach, Ipswich

Jun 3, 2018 11:00 AM - 1:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.3 mile(s)
Comments: I walked down through the dunes and pitch pines, then back on the beach, after going farther down the beach about half a mile from where I entered it. Highlight was finally finding a white-rumped sandpiper among a LOT of semis. (Saw it first on the beach and then in flight.) The strong SE wind kept me from hearing more, but the most surprising thing was that I saw zero swallows! Normally I see tree and bank swallows here, but despite the many burrows of the latter, no birds were flying.
24 species

Double-crested Cormorant 7
Osprey 1 Round Island platform apparently abandoned, yet again.
Piping Plover 6
Sanderling 7
Dunlin 4
White-rumped Sandpiper 1
Semipalmated Sandpiper 235 Hard to estimate since they were flying back and forth, but I tried not to double-count. Largest group was of about 100.
Ring-billed Gull 13
Herring Gull 30
Great Black-backed Gull 1
Least Tern 60
Common Tern 8
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue Jay 1
Northern Mockingbird 2 I thought it was curious to hear a Carolina wren singing at the beach until I realized who the perp was.
Common Yellowthroat 2
Chipping Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 6
Eastern Towhee 2
Red-winged Blackbird 4
Common Grackle 8
Purple Finch 3 Heard 3 singing; the only one I saw was a female type.
American Goldfinch 3
House Sparrow 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46276176

 Friday evening, Lynne Holton and I heard a minimum of 4 WHIP-POOR-WILLS from the vicinity of the parking lot, so I can almost guarantee them on my Wed. evening BBC walk, assuming decent weather.

http://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!