Date: 6/3/18 2:01 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Plum Creek Forest Preserve In Cook County Sunday 6-3-18
Hello Bird People,

They just did a field trip here yesterday & Joe L reported from here
last week so I figured I knew what was here but you always get a few
surprises. Joe had a Chat but missed the White Eyed Vireo so of course
today I missed the Chat but saw 2 White Eyed Vireo's. And Joe SAW a
Barred Owl which I have never seen in 20 years of going here although
I once heard one. Here's my day list in 3 sections.

Plum Creek Shrub Section

WHITE EYED VIREO (1, singing)
Yellow Warbler (2)
Common Yellowthroat (2)
Gray Catbird (2)
Cedar Waxwing (2)
Indigo Bunting (2)
Field Sparrow (1)
(No Chats or Blue Winged Warblers but I haven't seen Blue Winged here
for several years)

Plum Creek Grassy Fields

Eastern Kingbird (1)
Dickcissel (5-6)
Savannah Sparrow (1, singing)
HENSLOW'S SPARROW (1, singing, I can still hear these guys well enough)
Red Wings (4)
BOBOLINKS (3-M)
Eastern Meadowlark (3)
(Usually get Willow Flycatchers here but maybe it was too windy to hear them?)
(Also there may have been Grasshopper Sparrows here but I was by
myself & can't hear them)

Plum Creek Main Loop Trail

Red Bellied Woodpecker (2)
Downy Woodpecker (1)
Eastern Pewee (3)
ACADIAN FLYCATCHER (1, calling)
Great Crested Flycatcher (2)
House Wren (at least 8)
W.B. Nuthatch (2)
Red Eyed Vireo (4-5)
Wood Thrush (H-1)
Cardinal (2)
Indigo Bunting (2)
Field Sparrow (3)
Eastern Towhee (2)
Cowbird (4)
Grackle (2)
Goldfinch (4)

Had a 2nd singing WHITE EYED VIREO singing along the trail but it
constantly sang half the song. And it was calling from a more wooded
area than you'd expect but I saw it well & it was a White Eyed in
spite of it's bad habits.

Near the main parking lot was a singing Warbling Vireo & many Barn
Swallows & soaring overhead were 2 Turkey Vultures & 1 Red Tailed
Hawk.

I think June birding is interesting as with migration mainly over you
can see what regulars are around & each year is a little different.
That's why I went to Rock Cut yesterday & Plum Creek today.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the White Eyed Vireos & Runners-Up to the Henslow's
Sparrow & the Acadian Flycatcher.

Al Stokie
In far S.E. Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>