Date: 6/3/18 1:17 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Eastern or Say's Phoebe
I probably should have offered some reasoning for my Say's Phoebe opinion.

Head is too angular and proportionally too small for Eastern and isn't dark enough for Eastern either.

Upper parts are to pale and brown (almost gray-brown) for Eastern.

Overall proportions–long-tailed and slender don't fit Eastern, which I think of as more robust and slightly shorter-tailed than Say's and Black Phoebes.

Under parts are peachy yellow-orangish towards the salmon end of the spectrum. Easterns have more sulphur-yellow belly and vent.

Back to my mission, which is to finish writing the last 30 species accounts for the ABA Field Guide to the Birds of Oregon.

Dave Irons