Date: 6/3/18 12:29 pm
From: Ron Rovansek <rrovansek...>
Subject: Re: RFI - Ruffed Grouse Locations
There is a state gamelands ( similar to a state forest but intended primarily for hunting) near State College, PA that has a reasonably healthy population of grouse- SGL 176, “Scotia Barrens.” I hear them frequently and they’ll be present in late June. Seeing one requires luck or persistence, but they are there. Most views are of a bird flying away through the trees.

Ron Rovansek
Centre County.

> On Jun 3, 2018, at 10:32 AM, Mel Goff <melgoff...> wrote:
>
> PAbirders,
>

> My wife and I are on a quest to see the state birds of every state in the state. That means a Ruffed Grouse in Pennsylvania, of course. We have seen the state birds of over 40 states, so far.
>

> While I understand that mid-April may be the prime time to see these birds, I am hoping for a little luck can come our way in June. Later this month, we will be driving from Albany, NY to Washington, DC and we want to take a route that leads through Pennsylvania.
>

> If any of you can recommend a site that may yield this target species around June 23-23, please contact me directly at <melgoff...> mailto:<melgoff...> .
>

> Thank you, very much.
>

> Good birding!
>

> Mel & Jeanne Goff
>
> Colorado Springs, CO