Date: 6/3/18 6:46 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (02 Jun 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 02, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 0 3

Observation start time: 13:30:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Steve Cottrell
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy w/ Drenching Thunderstorms (100% cloud cover), Ceiling -
6,500-13,300 ft., Visibility - 10-4 miles, Temps 80 - 72F, Winds NE @ 5 -
10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating this horrible day:
1-Red-tailed Hawk, and Turkey Vultures (2).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Rainy Days with Kites & Shorebirds – NO!”---
<BR><BR>
We had two daily words yesterday; none today.
<BR><BR>
The watch day: June 2 – Water was everywhere as I rolled up to our site.
Strong thunderstorms are hereabout; the sky filled with purple-hued tall
thunderheads, rumbling their anger in the distance. One such storm had
just been through. Gonna be a “fun” evening! A quick scan of the likely
Olive-sided Flycatcher perches failed to turn up yesterday’s bird, but
revealed a male Baltimore Oriole which stood vigil a foot below a Crow on
“Merlin Snag.” It remained until the crow tired of the chaperone and flew
off to seek another nest to rob. Steve was out this rainy day, and while
here, to check on our Purple Martin gourdes, finding 1 egg and 7 nests.
Not bad for the first year, eh? We are so pleased with them using both
arrangements here this first year. That’s highly unusual. The lack of
definition beyond the front row of very dark clouds indicated a downpour
bearing down on us just as the typical shorebird migration hours arrived.
Gonna run for cover. It poured. If shorebirds were moving, I couldn’t see
them.
<BR><BR>
Better birds among our 53 species were: Yellow-breasted Chats, and Blue
Grosbeaks (nesting right down our path).
<BR><BR>
Thanks for your comments about ‘the Blog,’ Mike, Dave, Josh, Patricia and
Elaine. Patricia did dub me a “bird and word nerd” – a label I will wear
with pride. And Elaine, you still owe me at least one ice cream for those
lifers. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but offerings of food
and drink are not only welcome, but to be encouraged here at beautiful
Bucktoe Creek Preserve. That DOES include, but is not solely limited to,
ice cream! Although, it’s an excellent place to start…
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: none.
<BR><BR>
_-Double-crested Cormorant, 2-Great Blue Heron, 2-Willow Flycatcher, 2-
Yellow-breasted Chat, 2-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (1): Little Wood Satyr. Dragonflies
(0). Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.39; Steps: 10,306; Floors: 15.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 53; this season: 89
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Northern
Rough-winged Swallow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like yet another horrible day, though I can't
imagine it worse than today's deluge.
The Kites would likely have to be a local bird.
As for the shorebirds - if any are to come by, they had better be low, as
the ceiling is, too.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: