Date: 6/2/18 8:02 pm
From: Kathy Noerenberg <klnrbnut...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Need help on Montrose 5-26 VERY light throated female Connecticut W pix
Geoff, Matt & IBET -

Thanks ever so much for this very interesting, nuanced and informative
feedback! In fact, I have had the pleasure of somewhat knowing Geoff for
many years and birding with him a few times. In addition to his posts, each
time I am in awe of how much Geoff knows about birds. It is not his
intention since he is a wonderful gentleman, but I feel like a novice next
to him which is great since I love to learn. This is just another example
that makes me realize even after many years of birding, I still have a ton
to learn.

Thanks ever so much to IBET too. I am not on Facebook for a number of
reasons, so I greatly appreciate this forum, birders of all levels and the
sharing of knowledge!

Kathy

Kathy Noerenberg
Western Springs, Cook County

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Geoffrey Williamson
<geoffrey.williamson.21...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
wrote:

> I looked at this too and wrote Kathy that this bird didn't strike me as
> unusual for a Connecticut. In a private thread with some other folks, here
> is what I wrote.
>
> I find nothing about the bird, other than the tone of yellow, that is
> problematic with Connecticut. I don't think it is a great pair of photos
> for making a slam-dunk case for species identification, but to me they
> favor Connecticut over anything else. I think the eye ring is thick and
> complete (though at the front of the eyering there is that "splaying" of
> the gray feathers that obscures the ring if it is there). The brightness
> of the yellow underparts I assume to be a photographic or post-acquisition
> processing effect; everything in the photo looks too green-yellow to me.
> As for the length of the undertail coverts, yes, there is a lot of tail
> showing, but that effect can be captured in images of good Connecticuts and
> it's something that I have seen on birds in the field when looking for this
> feature. I don't know for certain if the stretched out posture can help
> the undertail coverts extend less far down the tail, but it makes sense to
> me that that would happen. The bill also looks to me to be Connecticut
> like and not Mourning/MacGillivray's like, although just as I am saying
> that with the other features one or two photos doesn't necessarily
> substantiate conclusions, I can't claim that this bird's bill is too big
> for Mourning -- it just looks that way to me. And I don't see anything
> particularly unusual about the hood on this bird. A lot of Connecticut
> hoods seem to me to be pale in the chin/throat area (but always with a
> complete darker band below the pale area).
>
> I will add, too, that the bill size and thick-in-the-middle structural
> appearance of the bird make me think Connecticut before Mourning on first
> glance.
>
> A lot of the available features on this bird are qualitative and
> degree-of-this-or-that type things, which makes identification problematic,
> especially when you are working only from one or two photos. I know that I
> like to see these birds walking (or hopping), or hear it sing, to make
> things conclusive.
>
> Good birding,
> Geoff
>

> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 7:18 AM, Matt Wistrand <mwistrand...>
> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>

>> If I had seen that bird, I would have called it a first-year female
>> Mourning Warbler. The yellow underneath is brighter than I'd expect to see
>> on a Connecticut, the eyering appears broken in the front, and the
>> undertail coverts stop too far short of the end of the tail. Plus, there's
>> the lighter throat which is common in first-year female Mournings. Then
>> again, I've only been birding for ~6 years and my knowledge reflects that,
>> so perhaps others can prove me mistaken. As for the apparent contrast in
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!