Date: 6/2/18 6:48 pm
From: Steve Seibel <sseibel999...>
Subject: Fwd: Mississippi Kites-Wichita--incubation has likely begun-- 5/28 and 5/29
(resending June 2)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Seibel <sseibel999...>
Date: Tue, May 29, 2018 at 12:23 PM
To: Birds & Their Habitats in Kansas <KSBIRD-L...>

It appears that incubation has very recently begun on the Mississippi
Kite nest in Wichita in Schweiter Park that I referenced in my 5/18
post. A kite was on the nest today 5/29 both in the early morning and
later in the morning but I saw no kite on the nest during several
walks through the area on 5/28 including one late in the evening. It
seems likely that incubation began at that nest sometime between late
evening of 5/28 and around 8:30 AM 5/29. This morning I observed
either a nest exchange or a prey delivery take place at that nest.
(Note that kites deliver prey to their mates on occasion during the
courtship/ pre-incubation period; it's not necessarily an indication
of the presence of a hungry chick!)

Another nest a short distance to the SSE, in a residential
neighborhood (the nest is visible from the park if you know where to
look) also had a kite on it this morning 5/29, and I just now
discerned that a kite was also on the nest when I snapped a
long-distance photo in the morning of 5/28 (I didn't notice the bird
at the time). I took a careful look at that nest w/ binocs in the
evening of 5/25 and it appeared to be unoccupied at the time, though I
did see some activity there on a previous day. It seems likely that
incubation began at that nest sometime between the evening of 5/25 and
the morning of 5/28.

There appears to be at least one more pair of mated (observed mating)
Mississippi Kites that frequents the SW corner of Schweiter park that
is not associated with either of the two nests noted above. My guess
is that they may have built a nest somewhere nearby in the residential
neighborhood to the S, SW, or W.

Steve Seibel

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 8:21 AM, Steve Seibel <sseibel999...> wrote:
> On 5/18 I saw a pair of Mississippi Kites adding fresh leafy green
> material to a nest in a pine tree in Schweiter park in Wichita.
> That's the only nest I've seen kites active at in that park this
> spring. It's not well situated for a very good view from the ground....

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>

Join us on Facebook!