Date: 6/2/18 6:35 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Oregon Breeding Bird atlas still available ... future?
Thanks Paul, for making this sampling of the Oregon Breeding Bird Atlas
(OBBA) data available on-line!

I hope that this helps to raise interest in an update of the Atlas. This
was a very worthwhile project that really engaged the Oregon birding
community, and produced results of lasting significance. Along with
other proud owners of the OBBA CD and the "Birds of Oregon: A General
Reference" volume, I'd like to thank you, Paul, and Kit Larsen too, for
the countless hours and expertise that you poured into this project.

I agree that this is a great time to start discussion of an update of
the Atlas. The past 19 years have brought many perceptible shifts in
breeding bird distribution, whether due to global climate change or
other factors.

As you note, the Oregon 2020 project has different aims and methods. It
aims to quantify bird abundance across the state, which is different
from documenting breeding status.The main method (stationary point
counts) is generally suitable for that purpose, but it doesn't really
get at the many intriguing questions that were raised by the 1995-1999
atlas project.

Do Fox Sparrows really nest in the Ochoco Mountains or are they mainly
just migrants/transients? Are any Upland Sandpipers still nesting in the
state? Do Black-throated Sparrows still nest in the Painted Hills? Do
Virginia's Warblers still nest in the Trout Creek Mountains?

I appreciate your initiative to get the discussion rolling ... and I
also appreciate that you're not anxious to be the lead investigator on
the next round! The first round must have taken a few years off your
life, and I hope that Oregon birders everywhere are appreciative as I
am.

I'll look forward to hearing from other birders who are interested in
this idea. The original OBBA was a very enjoyable and engaging
experience for me as a volunteer. I'd be very willing to play a
supporting role in an update.

Happy bird observing,
Joel

--