Date: 6/2/18 3:29 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Rock Cut State Park & Stonegate In Hampshire Saturday 6-2-18
Hello Bird People,

Miss seeing all those migrant Warblers? Then visit a place where some
of the Warblers stay to nest.
The best place by far in Northern Illinois is Mississippi Palisades
but if you can't go that far then
Rock Cut State Park near Rockford will do nicely. Bob Erickson & I had
7 species of Warblers plus Chat today at that location. This plus a
number of other highlights. Here's our day list.

Rock Cut State Park (7-10:45 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (2)
Canada Geese (8)
Mallard (6)
Turkey Vulture (6-8, flying very early I guess due to the windy conditions)
OSPREY (1)
Red Tailed Hawk (1)
Rock Pigeon (1 fly-by)
Mourning Dove (1)
Yellow Billed Cuckoo (heard only)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (2)
Downy Woodpecker (H-1)
Flicker (H-1)
PILEATED WOODPECKER (Found a nest hole with both male & female
bringing food to 2 young)
Eastern Pewee (5)
ACADIAN FLYCATCHER (4-5)
Willow Flycatcher (2)
Eastern Phoebe (1)
Great Crested Flycatcher (4)
Rough Winged & Barn Swallows
Blue Jay (4)
Crow (2)
Chickadee (H-2)
House Wren (7-8)
B.G. Gnatcatcher (1)
Eastern Bluebird (1-M)
Veery (1, singing)
Wood Thrush (1, singing)
Robins (~20)
Gray Catbird (4)
Brown Thrasher (2)
Starling (3-4)
Warbling Vireo (1)
Red Eyed Vireo (5)
Yellow Warbler (6-7)
YELLOW THROATED WARBLER (1-M, singing)
Common Yellowthroat (4)
CERULEAN WARBLER (1-M, singing)
Redstart (1)
LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH (1, singing)
HOODED WARBLER (1, singing)
YELLOW BREASTED CHAT (1, singing)
Cardinal (4)
Rose Breasted Grosbeak (4)
Indigo Bunting (4)
Eastern Towhee (2)
Chipping Sparrow (2)
Field Sparrow (1)
Song Sparrow (1)
Red Wings, Grackles & Cowbirds
Baltimore Oriole (1)
Goldfinch (6)
House Sparrow (2)

On the way home we stopped at the Meadowlark place called Stonegate in
Hampshire where no homes have been built yet. Finally found 2 WESTERN
MEADOWLARKS, some Meadowlark Species (wouldn't sing) one Eastern
Kingbird & one Dickcissel. Also Red Wings & Grackles.

It was a pretty good day with us finding all our target species for a change.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the Cerulean Warbler which we missed until the end.
Runners-Up to the Pileated Woodpecker family, the Yellow Throated
Warbler, the Hooded Warbler, the Louisiana Waterhrush & the Chat.

We managed to get completely lost in the semi-open area by Olson Lake
which has so many trails that loop around. Good thing Bob could figure
out the way back. There's a map at the entrance of this area. I
suggest you look it over before you walk the area.

Good day for Western plates with License Plate Of The Day to one from
Wyoming & Runner Up to one from North Dakota.

Al Stokie
Mostly in Winnebago County today with a little time in Kane County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: