Date: 6/2/18 2:08 pm
From: Lisa White via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Paper Wasp Nest Under Bluebird Box - Advice Sought
Hi All —

I noticed a small cluster of paper wasp cells inside my Eastern Bluebird box a few weeks ago and removed it. Eastern Bluebirds came, built a nest, laid 4 eggs and now mom is incubating. Just this morning, however, I’ve noticed that the paper wasps are now building a nest inside the baffle about 1 foot under the Eastern Bluebird box, slipping into a small crevice between the baffle and the pole it surrounds. I can see the paper wasp nest through the crevice, and it still looks to be rather small. There is a little bit of paper wasp traffic to and fro, but nothing bothering the Eastern Bluebird pair right now. I’m concerned tho, that this traffic will increase as the paper wasp nest gets built and completed, and more paper wasps come. I’m not sure what (if anything) to do. Some thoughts: 1. I can do nothing, 2. I can tape up the hole so they can’t get back into their nest but then I worry that the paper wasps will get agitated and/or mill around closer to the bluebird box itself and may start to try to build inside or on it, 3. When bluebird mom is not around, I can get wasp killer spray and stick a stream directly into the baffle crevice and take them all out. Any thoughts would be great appreciated. You can email me directly at <madalynwhite...>

Many thanks.

Lisa
Essex, CT

Sent from my iPad