Date: 6/2/18 12:10 pm
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Rose-breasted Grosbeak on East Camino Cielo
While conducting a bird survey on East Camino Cielo at 2915 feet elevation,
I heard a grosbeak-like vocalization that sounded a bit different than
BhGr. This was in a grove of 20-30 Eucalyptus amongst which were a bunch
of bee hives. Soon I heard 3 birds singing what I thought was exactly the
same song. I thought that all had to be Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. Not so.
There were two male Black-headed Grosbeaks present, which I assume were the
other singers. These 3 male birds were involved in some sort of song
competition. After listening to my recording, differences between the RbGr
and one of the of the BhGr can be heard and seen on the sonograph. You may
detect those differences also here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46240613

On Kinevan Ranch just 40-50m upstream of the new, upper bridge a *Brown
Creeper* was singing.

Mark Holmgren
San Marcos Pass

Join us on Facebook!