Date: 6/2/18 11:13 am
From: pep4223 <pep4223...>
Subject: PVAS birding field trip, Leetown Hatchery Ponds - Jefferson County
This morning at the USGS Fish Health Lab, Leetown, WV (eBird hotspot Leetown Hatchery Ponds), a Potomac Valley Audubon Society bird walk was held, with Christine as our host. As this rainy summer continues, I was happy to have 9 of us despite the threatening sky and forecast. We called the Rainman's bluff, and never had a drop of rain. The temperature ranged from a humid 70-75 degrees F. With no wind, the "skeeters" were in full force, but we persevered. Such a tough bunch of birders!

Nine year old Tad was a model young birder, being full of curiosity and didn't complain about insects. There was more than birds to explore, like seeing big fish in the ponds, finding turtle and bird egg shells, vulture feathers and leaf galls. Our group was full of excellent bird spotters. We had 58 different species, none of which were warblers. I thought that was great for post migration, and a tribute to how engaged everyone was on the walk.

We covered about 2.5 miles on foot and 0.5 mile in vehicles. Highlights included numerous Green Herons, an Osprey and Bald Eagle, Yellow-billed Cuckoos and wishful thinking coming to fruition. As I mentally went down the taxonomic bird list, mentioning the bird possibilities we had not seen, we would then find one. And it was the real enchilada, not seeing what was not really there. We marveled in our great luck, probably due to the thick clouds, low fog around the wetland and just being out there early with numerous sets of ears and eyes.

Our checklist is as follows:

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 10
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 2
Mallard (Northern) (Anas platyrhynchos platyrhynchos/conboschas) 1
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) (Ardea herodias [herodias Group]) 2
Green Heron (Butorides virescens) 4
Turkey Vulture (Northern) (Cathartes aura aura/septentrionalis) 1
Osprey (carolinensis) (Pandion haliaetus carolinensis) 1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1
Red-shouldered Hawk (lineatus Group) (Buteo lineatus [lineatus Group]) 1
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 1
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius) 1
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon)) 1
Mourning Dove (Mainland) (Zenaida macroura [carolinensis Group]) 3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus) 4
Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica) 7
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 6
Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) (Picoides pubescens pubescens/medianus) 4
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (Colaptes auratus auratus/luteus) 1 Heard only
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) 3
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens) 8
Acadian Flycatcher (Empidonax virescens) 5
Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus) 5
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus) 3
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) (Vireo gilvus gilvus) 12
Red-eyed Vireo (Red-eyed) (Vireo olivaceus olivaceus) 4
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 3
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 8
Fish Crow (Corvus ossifragus) 2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Northern) (Stelgidopteryx serripennis [serripennis Group]) 6
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 3
Barn Swallow (American) (Hirundo rustica erythrogaster) 6
Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis) 2
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 14
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) (Sitta carolinensis carolinensis) 2
House Wren (Northern) (Troglodytes aedon [aedon Group]) 1 Heard
Carolina Wren (Northern) (Thryothorus ludovicianus [ludovicianus Group]) 12
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (caerulea) (Polioptila caerulea caerulea) 4
Eastern Bluebird (Eastern) (Sialia sialis sialis/bermudensis) 7
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina) 2
American Robin (migratorius Group) (Turdus migratorius [migratorius Group]) 16
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 4
Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum) 1
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 2
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 4
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 6
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 4
Song Sparrow (melodia/atlantica) (Melospiza melodia melodia/atlantica) 2
Eastern Towhee (Red-eyed) (Pipilo erythrophthalmus erythrophthalmus/canaster) 2
Northern Cardinal (Common) (Cardinalis cardinalis [cardinalis Group]) 16
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) 3
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 3
Red-winged Blackbird (Red-winged) (Agelaius phoeniceus [phoeniceus Group]) 28
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) 8
Common Grackle (Bronzed) (Quiscalus quiscula versicolor) 7
House Finch (Common) (Haemorhous mexicanus [mexicanus Group]) 5
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 5
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 4

Happy Birding,

BIRDMOM, Jefferson County, WV