Date: 6/2/18 9:48 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (01 Jun 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 01, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 0 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 0 3

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Ian Stewart, Nicolas Al Fahel [w/ TLC/DNS Group of 4],
Elaine Kirk.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy - Partly Cloudy (75-25% cloud cover), Ceiling - 2,400-19,000
ft., Visibility - 4-10 miles, Temps 84 - 76F, Winds WSW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (17) and Turkey Vultures (56).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Polyandry provides poor Ambiance, I Say”---
<BR><BR>
“The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “ambiance.” Play along with me…how
would you define it? Let’s see how close you are. I finally settled upon
it meaning the conditions and atmosphere of a place which inspires you to
emote a certain way. But how close was I? “One-Look” - my source for all
my words - says it means the character and atmosphere of a place. I was
spot-on! This noun has English and French roots. How close were you to
the exact phrasing of the definition? We love words…do you? Choose the
right one, use it in the right way and it can say so much for you. While
certainly if you don’t, it can cause so much harm. Feel free to suggest
your favorite. Thanks for the in person suggestion of this one Barry, as
the power saw was ruining our ambiance while looking at the RED-NECKED
PHALAROPE [more on that soon!].
<BR><BR>
A second word of the day offered up later by Josh – thanks, Josh and I’ll
see you at “the watch” soon – in response to the phalarope [be patient –
it’s coming] is “polyandrous.” It means having more than one male mate
simultaneously; characterized by sexual role reversal. This word is a
noun/adjective and has nonsensical roots in fantasy, if you ask me
[officially, English & Greek – ahh, those Greeks!]
<BR><BR>
Phalaropes are polyandrous, ladies. The females are flashier, more
colorful birds than he males. They have many sexual “partners,” leave the
incubation and brood-rearing to the males, while scurrying off to find
these ‘extra pairings,’ and are socially dominant. HEY, WHAT’S UP WITH ALL
THAT!?!? This harsh reality is pretty much unique in the animal world, if
you ask me. [lol] Yeah, all three species of Phalaropes got IT ALL WRONG!
Male Phalaropes – UNITE!! Hey guys don’t blame me – Josh brought this to
the table! Sorry you brought this one up, Josh!?
<BR><BR>
Two words of the day? I’m giving myself the day off from that part of “the
Blog,” tomorrow.
<BR><BR>
But why all this talk of such ridiculous, nightmarish, nonsense, anyway?
Polyandrous, smolyandrous, I say! Here’s why [the background story]:
Before going to the watch today, and for old time’s sake, I set up my
“field office” and wrote at Marsh Creek Lake, as rare terns are still a
distant possibility – Black & Least among them. Besides, I enjoy writing
there – “my office” has quite the view. A Great Blue Heron flew directly
over as I set up “my desk.” Instead of terns, at 10:05 I saw a female
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE [FOY]! Go figure! Darn the luck! [lol] This very
rare [inland] pelagic shorebird was landing on the water, “spinning for
invertebrates” on the dead-still lake, as two of the three phalarope
species typically do. How nice was that!? I instantly put the word out,
whereupon Barry soon arrived to see the lovely Phalarope. This is one of
the very few species where the female is more colorful than the male and
the sexual roles are reversed [as I sadly, previously discussed]. Mike was
next to see it, then John. And here all I was trying to do is work and eat
a quiet breakfast. Oh well, I’ll get over it. Anyway, whoever had made my
sausage egg sandwich had inexplicably fallen in love with the pepper shaker
– and I love pepper – but it was darn-near inedible. I had always thought
that you could never use too much pepper for my liking. I was wrong. I’d
have rather been spinning on the lake and eating invertebrates myself.
[They don’t pepper those, right?] While Barry snapped pictures and I tried
to swallow, 3 Ospreys were here. What are three Ospreys doing here,
together at this season?? A Double-crested Cormorant flew past and then
began to feed. Late Bank swallows were among the other swallows coursing
over the lake. Kathleen and Joel were next arriving, and to see the now
very distant visitor. I had to leave, as Bucktoe beckons…
<BR><BR>
The watch day; June 1 – After the morning’s Phalarope excitement, I
eventually made my way to Bucktoe. The sky was super heavy with moisture –
we’ll pay for this with thunderstorms, I fear. A SCAN ON THE USUAL SNAGS
WHERE WE GET OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, revealed one. Where was he? Why,
where else, on the snag we’ve dubbed “OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER snag.” [FOY]
Now, this has been a great day, already – as pointed out by Kelley in a
text! The Chats and Grosbeaks amused us, and a Savannah Sparrow came into
the feeder snag, but still no more Kites or Shorebirds this day.
<BR><BR>
Better birds among our 60 species were: Wood Duck, Great Blue Heron, Great
Egret, Green Heron, Bald Eagle, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, Yellow-breasted
Chats, Savannah Sparrow, and Blue grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: still none.
<BR><BR>
3-Great Blue Heron, 1-Great Egret, 1-Green Heron, 1-OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER,
2-Willow Flycatcher, 1-Savannah Sparrow, 2-Yellow-breasted Chat, 2-Blue
Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Monarch - _, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Red Admiral, Little Wood Satyr.
Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0). Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.86; Steps: 18,430; Floors:
24.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 61; this season: 88
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, Savannah Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks poor again; overcast w/thunderstorms
The Kites – between the storms?
As for the shorebirds we're starting to get late now. There's got to be a
few more flocks. Just got to be!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: