Date: 6/1/18 6:48 pm
From: Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] May 2018-what a month
A great month of birding with strategic vacation days and weather conditions which dropped a lot of migrants on our area allowed me to achieve the highest species amount I ever had in May-219. I had 218 in three years, so this is my personal best despite missing such "easy" birds as Harlequin Duck, Northern Harrier, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Virginia Rail, and Purple Sandpiper.

Quite a few firsts for me.

Sorry for the rambling man summary:

It began with a calling Caspian Tern and Common Merganser at Great Pond in Randolph, a second Common Goldeneye, 1300 Long-tailed Ducks, an immature male King Eider, a pheasant, Sora, 22 Palm Warblers (the only ones for the month), a flock of over 100 warblers taking off in unison and being forced back down by strong westerly's, a Rusty Blackbird (perhaps only the second May record for me), 300 White-throated Sparrows, 7 Red-necked Grebes in mostly breeding plumage-2 courting bill to bill forming a heart shape between them, Ruddy Duck, 2 oystercatchers flying over the rocks at North Scituate, 48 Ovenbird, Lincoln's Sparrow, Great Horned Owl calling in the Dell at Mt Auburn, 45 Northern Parula, Hooded Warbler, Blue Grosbeak, 4 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, 6 Yellow-throated Vireos, 4 Worm-eating Warblers, 4 Evening Grosbeaks-male displaying, Vesper Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Cerulean Warbler below eye level, 126 species day, pair of Northern Shovelers, Ruffed Grouse at Wompatuck w!
hen no one else was reported it, an early Eastern Wood Pewee, Orange-crowned Warbler, 2 Cape May Warblers in the same field of view, Cattle Egret, Whimbrel (not often in spring), Short-billed Dowitcher, my second May Snowy Owl, 11 Least Flycatchers on the coast, 19 Black-throated Green Warblers, 53 Yellowthroats.

That's the first half of the month:

Female Tennessee Warbler, a Sooty Shearwater, 30 Gannets, displaying Piping Plovers, 11 Parasitic Jaegers, 1st summer Iceland Gull plopping in front of me, 1300 Common Tern, 2 stunning White-crowned Sparrows, 2 Manx Shearwater, Black-billed Cuckoo visual, Olive-sided Flycatcher, singing Tennessee Warbler while driving-got to see it, 26 Magnolia Warblers, 4 Bay-breasted Warblers, 8 Wilson's Warbler, 10 Canada Warblers, 3 Yellow-billed Cuckoos seen, 4 more Bay-breasted, juvenile begging Barred Owls, Pied-billed Grebe, 2 King Rails, Clapper Rail, at least 3 Common Nighthawks, 2 Acadian Flycatcher-one very obliging to be observed at leisure, White-eyed Vireo in view while singing, another Hooded Warbler, Saltmarsh Sparrow, 4 Green Herons together flying overhead, 2 American Bitterns, a Least Bittern, 4 Black-billed Cuckoos, 13 Willow Flycatchers, Alder Flycatcher, 8 Prairie Warblers, 6 Indigo Buntings, 2 Grasshopper Sparrows, 40 Black-bellied Plover, a displaying Upland Sandpipe!
r, 2 White-rumped Sandpipers, the only Sanderlings, 2 Black Skimmers, an adult Red-headed Woodpecker (not annual), 5 Horned Lark, 3 Eastern Meadowlark, a Lesser Black-backed Gull, Chuck-will-widow, 3 Whip-poor-wills, 2 Tricolored Heron, flying Glossy Ibis, 10 Roseate Terns, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, watched waxwings share a berry for the first time (only heard about this), 43 Yellow Warblers, nest of American Redstart, nest of Orchard Oriole, .........

and the last bird-Cliff Swallow.

Thank you for reading this rant.

And for everyone who assisted me. Such a month is not done alone.

Glenn

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

Join us on Facebook!