Date: 6/1/18 2:25 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Not Much At Waukegan & Illinois Beach South Unit Friday 6-1-18
Hello Bird People,

1st a correction. Yesterday I said the boat launch at Chain 'O Lakes
was at Turner Lake but it's not.
Seems that Turner Lake is in the campground & the public boat launch
is a separate area where the water flows partly into the Fox River &
partly into Grassy Lake. But no matter as to get there just follow all
the park signs to the Boat Launch & you will get there fine.

Today started off at 70 degrees but as I got to Waukegan the wind
picked up from the north & the temp fell to the low 60's & was 56 when
I left at 10 a.m. It was blowing so hard you could not walk into it
without getting sand blasted so to speak. Needless to say it made for
difficult viewing although there wasn't much to see.

Waukegan Beach

Here we had 1 Killdeer, 2 Spotted Sandpipers & the highlight was 2
WHITE RUMPED SANDPIPERS near the parking lot. Other than that just the
regular 2 species of Gulls & a few Caspian Terns.

Illinois Beach South Unit (w/ Andy Stewart)

Only thing on the beach were 2 pair of adult Killdeer with 1 pair
watching over 3 little Killdeer & the other pair watching over 4 even
smaller young ones. Not even a Spotted Sandpiper today.
In the oaks on the way back were Eastern Pewee, Great Crested
Flycatcher, Field Sparrow, Eastern Towhee, Red Eyed Vireo, Common
Yellowthroat & Indigo Bunting. Mark W told Andy there was a Chat
calling but we did not re-find it.

State Line Beach

Again the wind was so hard you could hardly view the Gulls but there
were only Ring Billed & Herring & 4 Caspian Terns. Two Eastern
Kingbirds were seen on the way in.

Techny North

Stopped here on the way home & there are mud flats but the only
shorebirds were 1 Killdeer &
2 Spotted Sandpipers. The only ducks were Mallards (22) & there was 1
Great Blue Heron.
A Turkey Vulture was soaring.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the 2 White Rumped Sandpipers.

License Plate Of The Day to a different one from Alaska which I'd
never seen before. Must be a specialty plate.

Al Stokie
Mostly in Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: