Date: 6/1/18 2:05 pm
From: Bryan <ng1...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] A question about behavior
I just saw a bird in my yard exhibit a behavior I have not seen before. I’m no expert, but it may have been a Black Phoebe or a Wester Wood Peewee. The head was dark with a spike on top, like a punk haircut. It flew down out of a tree, landed on a patch of bare dirt, and immediately spread out both wings to lay flat on the ground. It sat like that for several minutes. It didn’t seem to be scanning for insects, though it looked around a little, maybe for safety. I was sitting in a chair, and it flew away when I slowly stood up to get a better look. The ground was dry, the temperature in the mid 70s, no wind. Location is Antone and SM Foothills Preserve on June 01 at 1:30 PM. It seemed odd. Was it just warming itself?

-----
Bryan Mumford

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: