Date: 6/1/18 4:04 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (31 May 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 31, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 1 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 2 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 3 3

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Evelyn Fowles, Mike Fowles, Zach Millen

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): The Stewarts, Julie & Dad, Mike & Evelyn Fowles, Zach Millen,
Irvin Martin.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy w/ Shower (100-90% cloud cover), Ceiling - 1,100-3,700 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 71 - 78F, Winds SE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
3-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (6) and Turkey Vultures (30).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Breviloquent? ME??”---
<BR><BR>
I began today watching some of the real, true lovers of words practicing
their craft on TV. These were the young masters of the Scripps National
Spelling Bee. This word came up, and is “The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word
- “breviloquent.” Play along with me…how would you define it? Let’s see
how close you are. I once again, had no idea. “One-Look” - my source for
all my words - says it means a style of speech or writing using very few
words; concise. This adjective has Latin roots. How close were you to the
exact phrasing of the definition? We love words…do you? Choose the right
one, use it in the right way and it can say so much for you. While
certainly if you don’t, it can cause so much harm. Feel free to suggest
your favorite.
<BR><BR>
Incidentally, our young contestant got it correct. Can you believe it?
And why not? She was 12! [My spell-check still says it is incorrect.]
Likely the same 12-year old I need to help me with my computer. I found
the word strangely apropos for me. I mean, I am nothing, if not
breviloquent. WHAT? Don’t laugh! I was being serious! (LOL) Just once,
I would like to see, in response to a young whippersnapper [and who knew
that was a real word?] asking the judge to use the word in a sentence to
gain more clues to its spelling, this, “Your word in the spelling bee today
is ‘breviloquent.’” And why don’t the contestants when they get to ask
questions about the word – pronunciation, definition, origin, etc. – why
don’t they ask the judge for the spelling?? [LOL] I know, it’s just me..
Those kids ARE AMAZING!
<BR><BR>
May 31 – Dreary, again! Part of the Stewart clan was out, Julie & Dad, with
stories of England, Pub crawls and the like. Sounds like fun - I must go.
Oh, I’d bird, don’t you worry! But if there’s double of everything, don’t
you have a better chance of “ticking” them off?? A stunning adult
Red-shouldered Hawk flew by not a hundred yards away, low to the ground
having captured a snake, which was being carted away for lunch. Evelyn &
Mike were here, as was Poly, the Brokaw’s dog. What is they say about “dog
years?” For each period of time we have, a dog corresponds with 7 times
that, right? Well, Poly was here for 14 seconds then, before scampering
down a trail to join Mom & friend. There was a moment of sun…
<BR><BR>
Three Baltimore Orioles graced our feeder snag with their beauty, mere feet
away. Wow!
<BR><BR>
A thought crossed my mind as I was thinking about my friend Mike while not
seeing our target birds. [Random, arbitrary thoughts are another curse of
my TBI] I was also thinking about Alder Flycatchers, their call being
variously described as, “Free Beer!” I put the two together and pondered
what bird [or anything for that matter] DOES NOT sound like it’s saying,
“Free Beer” to you Mike? As you may have guessed, Mike is fond “of the
brew.” Gotcha, my friend – you’ve been “blogged,” even though you weren’t
here today! Yes, I’m a multi-dimensional blogger.
<BR><BR>
Better birds among our 58 species were: Great Egrets, Green Herons,
Red-shouldered Hawk, , Yellow-breasted Chat, and Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
Thanks Joel, for your comments on the blog. It means a lot.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: not a one.
<BR><BR>
2-Great Blue Heron, 2-Great Egret, 4-Green Heron, 2-Willow Flycatcher,
2-Yellow-breasted Chat, 2-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Monarch - 1, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur. Dragonflies (0). Reptiles & Amphibians (0).
Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.61; Steps: 15,516; Floors: 7.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 58; this season: 86
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks another overcast, dreary day.
The Kites – not great
As for the shorebirds - I give up, at this point!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: