Date: 5/31/18 11:09 pm
From: Thomas Robben via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Thanks to Roy Harvey and CTbirds
Please let me make 3 points about this:

1) I agree completely with everything Julian Hough said on May 31, in his
"Ebird and Directions" posting. And we need to use BOTH eBird AND our
CTbirds (this online listserv). One should not replace the other.

2) Connecticut has one of the most active and connected (an accidental
pun) and helpful birding communities anywhere in the world, imho. Partly
because of our active usage of CTbirds to share information, ideas, etc.

3) We owe ROY HARVEY a big vote of THANKS for his many years of running
and moderating this CTbirds listserv. And maintaining it as a civil and
useful place for birders to communicate and share. Roy quietly play
ā€‹sā€‹
a very central role in our community.

THANK YOU, ROY!!

tom robben, in glastonbury ct

====================
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 12:42:37 -0400
From: "<jrhough1...>" <jrhough1...>
To: "<ctbirds...>" <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Ebird and directions

I relate to both viewpoints here. In context of CT birding I agree that
technology and gps are going to continue to be the norm. I do not access
ebird to learn about "in the moment reports" or to learn of directions to a
bird I want to see, unless I am planning a trip.
It would be ideal for birders to post on the listserve directions, whether
they be Gps coordinates or basic directions, in addition to ebird.? I think
that is where the CT birds listserve is helpful - reports to the listserve
seem to alert birders more quickly than an ebird post, but I could be wrong
there??
One trend I have noticed is a lack of helpful directions in some posts,
e.g., Bird "x" at Sandy Pt. Sandy Pt is a big place when looking for a
small bird.
My suggestion, in addition to GPS coordinates would be to include helpful
onsite info (where appropriate and necessary)? that may help arriving
birders locate the right spot.
We are lucky that? birders in the state form what is a great birding
community and I for one appreciate all the people that take the time to
post timely info on their sightings.
Thanks and good birding,
Julian HoughNew Haven