Date: 5/31/18 5:02 pm
From: Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] "Back in the day" depends on one's perspective
This showed up in ebird. "Back in the day" depends on one's perspective.

Seaside Sparrow (Ammodramus maritimus) (2) CONFIRMED
- Sandy Neck--Gate House, Barnstable, Massachusetts
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=41.735262,-70.3847694&ll=41.735262,-70.3847694 http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=41.735262,-70.3847694&ll=41.735262,-70.3847694
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "One found yesterday..... Continuing, singing on territory. Tonight we had two. While taking photos of one bird we could hear a second bird singing a distance away. Not a total surprise here. Back in the day Stauffer Miller used to hike out from Navigation Road, jumping the ditches to reach the middle of the Great Marsh where he would find SESP singing during the breeding season."

Really back in the day Bob Pease walked out from Sandy Neck Road into the Great Marsh for the same reason. Herman would contact him and walk out with him. He would take me, too.

Life bird: 7/17/1977 "Barnstable". It was here with Bob Pease & Herman.

For those who may not know the name Bob Pease I recall he was everything Barnstable, although it might be also Sandwich. I believe he published a "Birds of Barnstable" which might have been just a listing with status per species.

A google search does not turn up any reference.

Glenn

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

Join us on Facebook!