Date: 5/31/18 2:27 pm
From: Christopher Cudworth <cudworthfix...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Stalking The Black Tern (Again) Thursday 5-31-18
In the late 1970s and early 1980s, before the City of Batavia contracted an
engineering firm to scrape out the wetland at the corner of Fabyan Parkway
and Randall Road, there were black terns breeding annually at the southeast
farm property.

We'd also find 20 species of ducks on that property each spring and fall.
Redhead, canvasback and many more. And black-bellied and golden plover
alighted in the fields where Walmart now stands.

In summer, I found babies of both Virginia and Sora Rail. There were
black-crowned night herons in a breeding colony in those cottonwoods.
Hunters pegged snipe in the fall, and the farmer with a hook for one hand
would chase us birders off the property now and then.

But we went there anyway, and one warm fall afternoon I wandered about
counting all the bird's nests in the small shrubs surrounding the wetland.

The development of that property into a water delivery system that was
later branded a forest preserve property was keenly pursued to generate tax
revenues. I talked with the engineers doing the work who promised "it will
be a better wetland than before," but I was skeptical. I know there is much
good work done in wetland mitigation, and it works. But in this case, the
pressures to channelized that outflow have resulted in a shallow, rather
birdless section of wetland in central Kane County.

And I miss the black terns.

Christopher Cudworth

--
Christopher Cudworth