Date: 5/31/18 2:14 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Stalking The Black Tern (Again) Thursday 5-31-18
Hello Bird People,

On our way out of Goose Pond/Lake in McHenry Co on Monday we
encountered 3 birders going in & one of them (Keith B) did find 2
Black Terns although we failed during the 2 hours we looked thereby
proving Terns were still present just not for us. So today I made a
project out of it going to 4 places were Black Terns have a history of
being.

The 1st place was Glacial Park where Black Terns are sometimes found
both at the main pond & the small pond by the last parking lot. Looked
at both places but no Black Terns. Heard 1 Yellow Headed Blackbird,
saw Willow Flycatchers & heard an Eastern Phoebe. So I was 0 for 1 on
Black Terns.

So I had to make the long walk at Goose Pond/Lake Natural Area with
all its mosquitoes & other bugs. Seemed o.k. at 1st so I didn't use
bug spray but soon I wished I had. Using spray after being bitten is a
little like "closing the barn door after the horse is out" but better
late than never. After 15 min of fast walking I was at the observation
area & right away I see a Tern like bird but it's far away & the light
is against me. Can't see any details & then it was gone. Now I "know"
it was a Black Tern but can't prove it. But about 15 min later it was
back & I got a much better look. Used my scope as it never came in &
always stayed at the far (south) end of the water. Disappeared again &
reappeared again too. Success of a sort!

With a little looking I found 2 COMMON GALLINUES but they were a long
way off & it's a good thing I could make out the red bills clearly.
Also saw plenty of YELLOW HEADED BLACKBIRDS & 10 Sandhill Cranes flew
by with 2 of them landing. Also one of the Ruddy Ducks was still
there.
Anyway, now I am 1 for 2 on Black Terns.

Third stop was Lake Catherine off Lakeview which is fairly close by.
When we were here on Monday Bob Erickson did see 1 Black Tern which I
never saw & today it was the same with me finding none.
So now I'm 1 for 3 on Black Terns.

Last stop was in Lake County at the boat launch at Turner Lake in
Chain 'O Lakes St Pk where Andy Stewart had seen a Black Tern
recently. Sat by the boat launch for 45 min (I was giving it 1 hour)
but was not seeing anything but Swallows when 1 Black Tern flew into
view briefly & was gone.
Thank you Andy! So the final tally is 2 for 4 on Black Terns.

Drove a lot today but the baby Prius C was in rare form giving me 65.7
mpg so I don't feel too guilty about gas consumption. Bird-Of-The-Day
to the hard to find Black Terns & Runners-Up to the 2 Common
Gallinules & the FOY Dickcissels at North Branch which is near Goose
Pond/Lake. I knew they'd be there.

Al Stokie
Mostly in McHenry County with one stop in Lake County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: