Date: 5/31/18 9:43 am
From: jrhough1--- via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Ebird and directions
I relate to both viewpoints here. In context of CT birding I agree that technology and gps are going to continue to be the norm. I do not access ebird to learn about "in the moment reports" or to learn of directions to a bird I want to see, unless I am planning a trip.
It would be ideal for birders to post on the listserve directions, whether they be Gps coordinates or basic directions, in addition to ebird.  I think that is where the CT birds listserve is helpful - reports to the listserve seem to alert birders more quickly than an ebird post, but I could be wrong there??
One trend I have noticed is a lack of helpful directions in some posts, e.g., Bird "x" at Sandy Pt. Sandy Pt is a big place when looking for a small bird.
My suggestion, in addition to GPS coordinates would be to include helpful onsite info (where appropriate and necessary)  that may help arriving birders locate the right spot.
We are lucky that  birders in the state form what is a great birding community and I for one appreciate all the people that take the time to post timely info on their sightings.
Thanks and good birding,
Julian HoughNew Haven

Sent from my LG Phoenix 3, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone