Date: 5/31/18 5:20 am
From: Matt Wistrand <mwistrand...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Need help on Montrose 5-26 VERY light throated female Connecticut W pix
If I had seen that bird, I would have called it a first-year female
Mourning Warbler. The yellow underneath is brighter than I'd expect to see
on a Connecticut, the eyering appears broken in the front, and the
undertail coverts stop too far short of the end of the tail. Plus, there's
the lighter throat which is common in first-year female Mournings. Then
again, I've only been birding for ~6 years and my knowledge reflects that,
so perhaps others can prove me mistaken. As for the apparent contrast in
the first photo, that may just be lighting, since the second photo shows a
more consistently-colored hood.

Matt Wistrand
West Chicago, DuPage

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 9:43 PM Kathy Noerenberg <klnrbnut...>
[ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> I was at Montrose during much of the same time of this EBird report that
> has 2 pix of a unique to me very light colored grayish-white throat on a
> Connecticut Warbler that is much lighter in color than its hood. Other
> people like Al S. saw a Connecticut W. that day too.
>
> The *key* is this: Is this a *uniquely very light* *grayish-white
> throated Connecticut that is much lighter than its hood *or is this more
> common than I have ever seen before?
>
> I remember seeing what looks to be this bird and commenting about the
> throat on my voice recorder. However, I never saw the eyes of this bird but
> clearly saw the entire bottom and some of the side of the bird. It was
> obviously either a female Mourning or Connecticut warbler but having never
> seen a bird like this and to be conservative, I counted it as a female
> Mourning.
>
> Here is the link for this EBird report for the same day with the 2
> pictures of the COWA.
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46037757
>
> *Question *- Have you ever seen a female Mourning OR female Connecticut
> Warbler with this light of a throat especially compared to its hood color?
>
> Besides a learning experience, the reason I am asking is If this is quite
> unique, I will count it as a Connecticut Warbler. This would be exciting
> for me since I have not seen one so far this year (at least the white eye
> ring)
>
> Thanks as always for helping me learn to be a better birder!
>
> Kathy Noerenberg
> Western Springs, Cook County

Join us on Facebook!