Date: 5/31/18 3:29 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (30 May 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 30, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 1 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 2 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 3 3

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beaty Broughton, Dennis Davis, Kelley Nunn

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (9): Steve Cottrell, Dennis Davis, Howard & Kitty Campbell, Beaty
Broughton, Deb Kirchdoerfer, Elaine Kirk, Kelley Nunn.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy w/ Drizzle (100-90% cloud cover), Ceiling - 1,800-800 ft.,
Visibility - 8-10 miles, Temps 77 - 70F, Winds ESE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (22) and
Turkey Vultures (58).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Shorebirds? What Shorebirds?”---
<BR><BR>
“The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “gumption.” Play along with me…how
would you define it? Let’s see how close you are. I finally settled upon
it meaning zest. But how close was I? “One-Look” - my source for all my
words - says it means shrewd or spirited initiative and resourcefulness.
That could be deemed zest, right? This noun has unknown roots. How close
were you to the exact phrasing of the definition? We love words…do you?
Choose the right one, use it in the right way and it can say so much for
you. While certainly if you don’t, it can cause so much harm. Feel free
to suggest your favorite.
<BR><BR>
May 30 – Drats! Light rain upon arrival. The weather, except for
yesterday and a few other days, has not been that good this watch period.
Oh well! Make the best of it, right? And so I shall. I know, I’ll attack
the day with gumption – that’s what I’ll do. The rain gave way to mostly
cloudy skies – I’ll take that! Steve was out before me, to check on the
Martin gourdes he had donated. They are sure being used in this, their
first year, with eggs already in the arrangement you first see along the
driveway! Thanks, Steve!
<BR><BR>
At 2:20pm one of our Barred Owls began calling. Just then an adult Bald
Eagle came in to view as a Little Wood Satyr bounded by effortlessly. A
Ruby-throated Hummingbird visited our feeders. Things are looking up.
See?
<BR><BR>
Once again we’ve watched the following very strange “feeder birds” on the
ground actually eating pieces of what looks like millet: Tree Swallows,
Barn Swallows, Purple Martin and Eastern Kingbird. What are these
insectivores doing? I wonder if it’s a grit substitute. You’d think they
might be eating ants and other insects, attracted to the feeder area, off
the bare ground, and they may be doing that as well. But I’ve actually,
through binoculars seen them eat seed. Have they gone the way of our Song
Sparrows and Field Sparrows; becoming ground-feeder birds? Certainly not,
but they do partake.
<BR><BR>
This has been a very strange year, both for Kites and shorebirds, here at
Bucktoe. We have had few days with shorebirds, and but 2 Kites. Where are
they? The weather has been poor, but still… Better birds among our 63
species today were: Wood Ducks, Great Egret, Green Heron, Barred Owl, Bald
Eagle, Red-shouldered Hawks, Yellow-breasted Chats, Blue Grosbeaks &
Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
<BR><BR>
Thanks for your comments about “The Blog,” Marie & welcome! And thank you
too Mike, for your comments in general. Kay & Jake, thank you as well, for
your “Blog” comments and those about our beautiful Preserve here at
Bucktoe. They are all appreciated!
<BR><BR>
Thanks Howard for the gift of bird seed, bringing to mind that gifts here
at Bucktoe Creek Preserve [particularly food & drink] are not only
welcomed, but to be encouraged. Elaine arrived bearing dinner for me. How
nice was THAT? I believe I don’t have to remind HER that gifts here at
Bucktoe Creek Preserve [particularly food & drink] are not only welcomed,
but to be encouraged. Elaine is smart like that, even if she can’t find a
WOOD DUCK! Thank you, Elaine – it was delicious!
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: none.
<BR><BR>
2-Great Blue Heron, 1-Great Egret, 1-Green Heron, 1-Barred Owl, 2-Willow
Flycatcher, 2-Yellow-breasted Chat, 2-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
Other Wildlife: Butterflies (3): Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded
Sulphur, Little Wood Satyr. Dragonflies (0). Reptiles & Amphibians (0).
Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.37; Steps: 17,287; Floors:
13.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 63; this season: 86
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Barred
Owl.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like another poor day, but not a washout.
The Kites – overcast, little in the way of thermals. Not the best. If one
should happen by, it should be low.
As for the shorebirds - I just don't know, at this point.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: