Date: 5/30/18 5:23 pm
From: Bates, David Westfall,M.D. <dbates...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 5/25 Big Day
Deb Kovacs and I did our annual big day on 5/25. Sorry to be slow getting this out, always takes a few days to recover. We ended up with 170 species (assuming I haven't missed something), which is a good total for us. This was the case despite nearly no migration activity on the coast. Was the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, and was very hot-88-90 in the afternoon. The evening was clear and warm, which ended up being really good for hearing night birds though we heard few if any migrants going over (reading Ian Davies' post was absolutely mind-blowing). Big misses included Black-throated Blue, Surf Scoter, Little Blue Heron and Red-breasted Merganser. Also couldn't find some of the rarities we knew were around (White-faced Ibis, Cattle Egret, Upland Sandpiper, Glaucous Gull). We really struggled with sea birds, and had no scoters at all until we got to Plum Island! Did our usual route-Mt. Watatic, down Route 119, then to Bolton Flats area/Pine Hill Rd grasslands, then to coast-Nahant, Marblehead Neck and then up to Ipswich, W Newbury and finishing on Plum Island. No big surprises, but some nice things. Had 21 species of warblers, 11 sparrows, 18 sp shorebirds.

Selected highlights:
Mt. Watatic
Ruffed Grouse 1 (drumming-haven't had here for a few years)

Pine Hill Road (Bolton)
Kestrel 1
Grasshopper Sparrow 1
Vesper Sparrow 1

Revere Beach (S end)
Purple Sandpiper 2 (late)
Manx Shearwater 7

Marblehead Neck
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 1
Philadelphia Vireo 1
Mourning Warbler 1

Pikul's Pools
Wilson's Phalarope 1

Plum Island
American Bittern 1 (near Cross Farm Hill)
Least Bittern 1 (Hellcat)

David Bates
<David.bates...><mailto:<David.bates...>

dispose of the e-mail.

Join us on Facebook!