Date: 5/30/18 2:40 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Ritchie County--Red-headed Woodpeckers and Wood Ducks
I birded 6 locations in Ritchie County this morning with these highlights.

Note: a road construction project has closed Route 50 eastbound for about
10 miles from near Goose Creek to Route 16 at Ellenboro. Traffic is
detoured onto Glendale Road, which looks like the original Route 50, for
this stretch. Westbound traffic looks to be unaffected.

Old Bunnell Run Road below the 4-H Camp:

Wood Duck--1 female with 5 tiny ducklings.
Red-headed Woodpecker--1 adult
Eastern Kingbird--1
Common Yellowthroat--1
Yellow Warbler--1
Indigo Bunting--1

Eldon Haught Recreation Area:

Great Blue Heron--3
Green Heron--3
Killdeer--2
Red-headed Woodpecker--5 adults
Eastern Kingbird--2, 1 of which was harassing a Red-headed Woodpecker
Warbling Vireo--1
Yellow Warbler--1
Yellow-breasted Chat--1
Baltimore Oriole--2

Third Run fishing area, where I did not try the Lakeside Trail due to its
being partly overgrown with Poison Ivy:

Green Heron--1
Eastern Kingbird--1
Orchard Oriole--1

North Bend State Park lodge area:

Eastern Wood-Pewee--1
Yellow-throated Vireo--1
Eastern Bluebird--2
Pine Warbler--2
Chipping Sparrow--2
Scarlet Tanager--2

North Bend State Park picnic area:

Eastern Wood-Pewee--1
Great Crested Flycatcher--1
Ovenbird--1
Cerulean Warbler--1

North Bend Rail Trail from Petroleum west to mile marker 18:

Wood Duck--1 female with 10 tiny ducklings. At one point they were swimming
through some rocks and branches and 1 of the ducklings didn't make it
through with the others. The mother soon realized one was missing and swam
back with anxious cries to find it. It was a happy ending when the
youngster finally emerged and rejoined its siblings.
Yellow-billed Cuckoo--1
Acadian Flycatcher--4
Yellow-throated Vireo--1
Brown Thrasher--2
Ovenbird--1
Louisiana Waterthrush--1
Hooded Warbler--1
Yellow-throated Warbler--1
Scarlet Tanager--3
Indigo Bunting--1
Common Grackle--3, with 2 fledglings with incomplete feathering on their
heads and short tails. Looked like large versions of some tropical antwren.

Terry Bronson
Vienna, WV

Join us on Facebook!