Date: 5/30/18 2:04 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
A nice sunny day brings out the colors and we saw at Mt. Pisgah’s river trail some of our most colorful birds, though four pairs of Bullock’s Oreoles will brighten any day. Another highlight was watching the mating display of a male Rufous Humming bird. The female was perched low in a shrub to which the male returned four times to make his vows. What a sound he made, as we stood from him only six feet away! We were not so sure of the results, as the female moved further into the shrub.
42 species:

Eurasian Collared Dove 2
Mourning Dove 4
Rufous Hummingbird 2
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 15
Osprey 2
Bald Eagle 1 adult
Red-tailed Hawk 5
Red-breasted Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 6
Pileated Woodpecker 1
American Kestrel 1 pair
Western Wood-Pewee always present
Hutton’s Vireo 2
Warbling Vireo 2
Steller’s Jay 4
California Scrub-Jay 3
American Crow few
Violet-green Swallow prevailing swallow
Barn Swallow few
Black-capped Chickadee 8
Bushtit few heard
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Brown Creeper 1
Bewick’s Wren 8
Swainson’s Thrush 4
American Robin 12
European Starling few
Cedar Waxwing groups in several places
Lesser Goldfinch 2
American Goldfinch 4
Spotted Towhee 8
Song Sparrow 4
Bullock’s Oriole 8
Brown-headed Cowbird 10
Common Yellowthroat 3
Black-throated Gray Warbler 2
Wilson’s Warbler 2
Western Tanager 4
Black-headed Grosbeak 8
Lazuli Bunting 1

Kit Larsen, Dennis Arendt, Tom Cable, Sylvia Maulding, Steve Dignam, Dave Jones, and Larry McQueen

Join us on Facebook!