Date: 5/30/18 12:24 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Another Weekly Visit To The Chicago Botanic Garden Wed 5-30-18
Hello Bird People,

Only 1 migrant this time with all the other species being residents.
Here's my day list:

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:15-10:45 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (3)
Great Egret (1)
BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON (3-AD & 1-2nd year)
(All these Herons & the Egret were at the B.Brown Pond)
Canada Geese (~30)
Wood Duck (16, mostly males as the females are on nests, at the B.Brown Pond)
Mallard (8 plus 1 female with 11 small young)
Killdeer (3)
Spotted Sandpiper (2)
Herring Gull (2-AD)
Caspian Tern (Max=6)
Rock Pigeon (1 fly-by)
Mourning Dove (6)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (H-1)
Downy Woodpecker (H-1)
Flicker (H-1)
(All 3 Woodpeckers were at the McDonald Woods section)
Eastern Pewee (H-3)
Willow Flycatcher (2)
Great Crested Flycatcher (H-2)
Purple Martin (15 at the east house & 12 at the 2 west houses)
Tree, Barn & Cliff Swallows
Blue Jay (4-6)
Chickadee (H-1)
B.G. Gnatcatcher (2)
WOOD THRUSH (H-1)
Cedar Waxwing (5)
Warbling Vireo (7-8)
Red Eyed Vireo (3)
Yellow Warbler (1-2)
Common Yellowthroat (3)
NASHVILLE WARBLER (1, my only migrant species of the day)
Cardinal (2-PR & H-2)
Indigo Bunting (1-PR together)
Song Sparrow (6)
Red Wings, Grackles & Cowbirds
Baltimore Oriole (4)
House Finch (4)
Goldfinch (6)
House Sparrow (6)

I did not see the Red Headed Woodpecker that I'd seen for the last 3
visits by the B.Brown Pond but the leaves are all out making it much
harder to see at that location. I had hoped it would stay.

Bird-Of-The-Day to all the Black Crowned Night Herons who I think nest
at Skokie Lagoons & hunt for food at the Botanic Garden. Runner-Up to
the late Nashville Warbler.

License Plate Of The Day to my 2nd HAWAII of the year which flew past
me on on the Edens going north. Apologies to all those still needing
that plate while I now have two. Seems kind of greedy of me to see
two.

A; Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>