Date: 5/30/18 11:51 am
From: douglas stotz <dfstotz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Bobwhite at Rainbow Beach
I went to Rainbow Beach Park along the Lake Michigan lakefront between
75th and 79th St. this AM in the hope of finding some late migrants.
Rainbow Beach has been good for migrants at times in the past in late May;
early June, but today was not one of those days. However I was shocked to
find a female Northern Bobwhite at the east end of the dune grassland at
the east end of the main beach at Rainbow Beach. I first saw on the rocks
just east of the grassland. It jumped off the rocks and ran into the dense
grass. About ten minutes later, while I walked on a small trail
paralleling the rocks, I flushed the bird and it flew into the far SE
corner of the grassland. The grass in that area is short and open, so
later I was able to see the bird on the ground there. I did not approach
and the bird stayed put as long as I could see. It is hard to imagine what
brought a Bobwhite to Rainbow Park. The only recent Cook Co. records of
which I am aware are from Eggers Woods, Big Marsh and Wolf Lake in the
Calumet area.
The other birds of interest I saw or heard in Rainbow Beach were a
total of 7 Red-breasted Mergansers, a Northern Mockingbird (by the beach
house). a singing Mourning Warbler, 2 Dickcissels, and a flock of 6
Semipalmed Sandpipers on the main beach.

Doug Stotz

--
Douglas Stotz
Conservation Ecologist/Ornithologist