Date: 5/30/18 7:50 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (29 May 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 29, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 1 1
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 2 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 3 3

Observation start time: 11:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Barry Blust, Kathleen Pileggi, Kelley Nunn

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Barry Blust, Kelley Nunn, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy - Partly Sunny (100-30% cloud cover), Ceiling - 5,500-30,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 82 - 76F, Winds W-SW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 3-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (15) and
Turkey Vultures (50).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Birds? Now they would have made the Day PERFECT!”---
<BR><BR>
“The Early Bird Blog’s” daily word is “pileated.” Play along with me…how
would you define it? Let’s see how close you are. I had no idea what it
means, just the bird. “One-Look” - my source for all my words - says it
means in an entomology sense, capped, like a mushroom. For a bird, it is
capped with a crest on the top of the head covering the pileum – the bill
to the nape. This adjective has Latin roots. How close were you to the
exact phrasing of the definition? We love words…do you? Choose the right
one, use it in the right way and it can say so much for you. While
certainly if you don’t, it can cause so much harm. Feel free to suggest
your favorite.
<BR><BR>
Incidentally, BOTH common ways of pronunciation are “acceptable,” although
the “pie-leated” ‘officially’ a little more so than the “pill-eated.” [I
didn’t know how to type the standard pronunciation symbols!!]
<BR><BR>
May 29 – I feel good about today, but if one thing has become evident to me
– you just never know with “these guys.” The weather improved to darn-near
perfect conditions to observe Kites and shorebird movement; hot, winds
shifted to light from the SW, and a nice set of background clouds.
PERFECT! Still, we saw little today, despite intense scanning. At 8:20
Kelley did spot a distant flock of about 100 unidentified shorebirds. We
are SO DUE!!
<BR><BR>
Better birds among our 62 species were: Great Egret, Red-shouldered Hawks,
American Redstart, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Yellow-breasted Chat, Scarlet
Tanager, Blue Grosbeak, and a flock of shorebirds, too distant to ID.
<BR><BR>
Thanks Jerry, for getting back to me about personality changes, etc. and to
Dorothy for relaying her own family’s history of TBI and especially in
regards to the senses of smell and taste that her family member had. They
were much like my own. Thanks for reaching out, Dorothy.
<BR><BR>
Speaking of “reaching out;” A Fish Crow flew by with, at first, an adult
Baltimore Oriole harassing it, diving and scolding. As the crow moved on,
2 more Baltimore Orioles, “reached out” to make contact with the crow, a
known nest robber. They were joined by an Eastern Kingbird.
<BR><BR>
On the way to Bucktoe today, a quick stop at a known breeding spot for the
species on Greenlawn Road, produced Grasshopper Sparrows [my FOY] and
Bobolinks.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: 100-Unidentified (@ 8:20pm).
<BR><BR>
3-Great Blue Heron, 1-Great Egret, 1-Yellow-billed Cuckoo, 2-Willow
Flycatcher, 2-Yellow-breasted Chat, 2-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (6): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Black Swallowtail,
Little Wood Satyr. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0). Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.96; Steps: 16,333; Floors:
13.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 62; this season: 85
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks not the best, may be a brief shower or two. Not a
washout.
The Kites – if here, it'll be low.
As for the shorebirds - we are so due for a nice flight.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: