Date: 5/30/18 4:30 am
From: Susan Schmoyer <0000004a41c07666-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Whip-poor-wills, Pike County
Our Nightjar Survey in Pike County last night yielded 13 whips along the 9 mile route, which starts at 402, continues down Hobday, Highline, and Pine Flats roads, and ends in the Burnt Mills parking area on 402. The majority of birds were heard along Highline. Our survey began at 9:16 and ended at 11:00. The count of 13 is average for the six years running this route if one disregards last year’s total of five on a very cold, bug-free night.

Of the 13, we actually saw one along the side of the road at our first stop. Other highlights were the two barred owls, one seen, one heard, along Highline. A whip was also calling behind our cabin on Hobday, but was not countable as it was not an official survey stop.

Sue Schmoyer
Kutztown, Berks Co.

Sent from my iPad

Join us on Facebook!